Friday, May 24, 2013

Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013) * * * * *

I do have to say, I'm a huge fan of Star Trek. It was one of the first the first sci-fi-s I've ever seen, back in the day on Sky One. It was the original series, and then I went on with the new series. Therefore, at first my mind was occupied by "OMG, Enterprise in 3D!!!!" The scenes were gorgeous. The future London and San Francisco, the starships, a real treat for the sci-fi fan. I like how they kept the style of the original movie and series. You did see a lot of 60s influence with short skirts and that weird hair that goes up. Visually, it didn't disappoint.

Frankly, I don't remember much of the original second movie. I have watched it several times, but not in recent years. The twist towards the end was nice, I did remember the original of that. Of course in such a movie you can't really expect a very complex plot, but the story was fun too. The action didn't seem forced. Sometimes in action movies you just don't know why they jump through all these hoops when they could solve things more easily. The sequel was definitely as good as the original. Even the remake was as good as the original.

The acting was of course superb. All the actors are well established and most have played their roles already in the first film. Benedict Cumberbatch is a newcomer, but if anyone has seen him in Sherlock, there can be no doubt of his talent. I'm only sorry I couldn't hear the whole thing in English, but the local theatre only had the movie with the Hungarian dubbing.

Overall, the movie was as spectacular as expected. A must-watch for fans of Star Trek, sci-fi and even for those who like action. I can't say a bad thing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment