Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan * * * *

At first, this one was a disappointment. I read the Percy Jackson series last year, and put off reading this one until the last book came out. I knew I would be frustrated to wait for the ending of the next adventure, so I read other stuff. When I started, I expected Percy and Annabeth. Groover. So I was asking: "Who is this Jason guy? Where is PERCY???"


I got over my need for Percy quite fast. Though frankly, Jason is still not a favourite, but Leo was great. I also like Piper. I loved how they were the children of other gods, not the ones we've seen before. The adventure followed a familiar pattern. Meet, Camp, Quest across the country. What was different was that it felt more dangerous. There were many moments when I was wondering how the heroes could survive.

The reason why I never really feel near Jason is that he's too perfect. Clean cut, great power, son of ..., handsome. Not that if he was my boyfriend I would throw him out, but he's just not the kind of character I'm usually drawn to. It was interesting how we found out little by little who he actually was though.

Piper is the girl in the group. Usually in these books there is a girl in the group. I like how she's part Native American, and also the daughter of ... It was interesting how she made comparisons between Native American legends and the Greek ones. There was a mystery surrounding her, and there was a scene with her and her father that made me tear up.

Leo is the anti-social boy. I like him because he's funny, clever and unsure of himself. He's the kind of character you cheer for, you want to see just how much he's really worth. He has his own secret, but his reason for hiding is more about being scared of his own abilities than them being actually dangerous.

Overall, another enjoyable adventure book. Fun moments, scary moments, excitement, just what I want from Rick Riordan.

No comments:

Post a Comment