The Woman in Me by Britney Spears * * * *

I read The Woman in Me by Britney Spears as part of the 2026 PopSugar Reading Challenge. This was for prompt #37, "a book about a pop star", and I had actually been wanting to read this memoir ever since it came out. I listened to the audiobook, which came with a special treat because Britney herself reads the introduction before Michelle Williams takes over the narration for the rest of the book. Britney explains that recording the entire memoir would simply have been too emotionally difficult considering everything she had to revisit while writing it. Hearing her actual voice at the beginning therefore felt particularly meaningful, especially before handing the story over to somebody else.

This was also a strangely emotional book for me for reasons that have very little to do with the actual quality of the memoir. Between Britney Spears and I there are only about seven months in age, which means that when Britney became one of the most famous teenagers in the world, I was a teenager too. I remember that entire period from the other side of the screen.

I was always more of a Britney fan than a Christina Aguilera fan. I liked Christina too, but Britney was the one I followed. Obviously, there were limits to how closely a teenage girl in small town Hungary could follow the life of an American pop star in the late 1990s and early 2000s. There was no social media giving us constant access to celebrities. Most of what I knew came through Hungarian teen magazines and whatever entertainment news happened to reach us. I was getting little pieces of her life from thousands of kilometres away, without really knowing what was happening behind those photographs.

Still, I remember the big moments. I remember Britney and Justin Timberlake. I remember the breakup. I remember the Las Vegas wedding. I remember Kevin Federline. I remember her getting married and having her babies, which seemed particularly wild to me because we were basically the same age and I was nowhere near getting married or having children. I remember the photographs of her shaving her head. I remember the paparazzi surrounding her.

By then, I already found the entire paparazzi culture appalling. Princess Diana's death had had a huge effect on me because I loved Diana too, and I could never understand how the celebrity press could watch something like that happen and then simply continue behaving in the same ruthless way. Yes, photographs make money. Yes, celebrity journalism is an industry. But there is still a human being inside the car, behind the door, underneath the shaved head. At some point, surely another person's humanity should matter more than getting the photograph.

Then Britney largely disappeared from my radar. I stopped paying much attention to celebrity news around that period anyway, so I didn't really know what she was doing for years. When I eventually learned what had actually been happening under the conservatorship, I was appalled. Reading The Woman in Me filled in that enormous blank space for me. It took events I vaguely remembered seeing from the outside and finally showed me what they looked like from inside Britney's life.

The memoir actually begins much earlier than Britney herself. She talks about her family history, particularly her paternal grandmother, Emma Jean, whose baby died only days after birth. Emma Jean was overwhelmed by grief, was institutionalised and treated with lithium, and eventually died by suicide over her baby's grave. That tragedy shaped Britney's father, Jamie, who grew up with an abusive father after losing his mother. It is a horrible family history, and you can see the violence and trauma moving through the generations.

Understanding where Britney's father came from does not excuse what he later did to his own daughter. If anything, it makes the cycle more obvious. He grew up in an abusive household and then became an abusive parent himself.

Britney, meanwhile, seems to have been a natural performer almost from the beginning. This is something I could relate to because I was that child too. I loved performing. I loved being in front of people. I never became Britney Spears, obviously, but I understand that particular kind of child. Reading about her childhood, I never got the impression that this was a reluctant little girl being dragged onto a stage by ambitious parents. Britney genuinely loved performing. She wanted to sing. She wanted to dance. She wanted the stage.

And that makes what happened to her particularly sad because the problem was never that she became a performer. The problem was that the adults around her learned that her talent could make them money.

One of the strongest patterns I saw throughout the memoir was Britney's search for love. She grew up without the kind of safe, unconditional parental love that a child should be able to depend upon, and as an adult she repeatedly seems to look for that security in romantic relationships. She has an enormous amount of love to give, but she also desperately wants to be loved in return. Unfortunately, that need can make somebody incredibly vulnerable to people willing to exploit it.

That is what makes so many of the relationships in this book difficult to read. Again and again, Britney seems to believe she has found someone who loves her, only to discover that fame, money, career opportunities or control are tangled up in the relationship. Justin Timberlake is obviously part of that story, and Britney reveals things about their relationship that I certainly did not know when I was watching them as a teenager. Kevin Federline becomes another major part of it.

Britney did eventually file for divorce from Kevin Federline, but according to her memoir, that was not because she wanted the marriage to end. She says she was told that Kevin was going to file first and that if he did, he would somehow have the upper hand. So she filed preemptively, only to later realise that what she had been told was not true. That makes the whole situation even sadder because it fits the larger pattern of the book. Britney is repeatedly surrounded by people giving her information, making decisions around her and pushing her toward choices while she is already emotionally vulnerable.

What followed was a brutal custody battle at exactly the point when she was already struggling. She was dealing with postpartum depression, grieving the death of her aunt, being relentlessly pursued by paparazzi and fighting over access to her children. Her sons were the most important people in her life, and that meant the possibility of losing time with them became one of the most effective ways of controlling her.

This is where the conservatorship becomes especially disturbing.

Britney was clearly going through a mental health crisis. I don't think the memoir needs to pretend otherwise, and neither do I. She was struggling. But struggling does not mean that someone should lose control of practically every aspect of their adult life for thirteen years while continuing to work and earn enormous amounts of money. If somebody is well enough to record albums, rehearse, perform concerts, complete a Las Vegas residency and make millions of dollars for everyone around her, it becomes increasingly difficult to understand why she supposedly remained incapable of making basic decisions about her own life.

Her father had extraordinary control over her personal life, finances, work, medication and even what she ate. Meanwhile, Britney was still expected to perform.

That contradiction is one of the things I kept returning to while listening. She was supposedly too incapable to control her own life, but somehow perfectly capable of maintaining the workload of an international superstar.

And the children she loved so much could always be used as leverage. If she refused something, there was the possibility that she would lose access to them. When you know that somebody's greatest fear is losing her children, threatening that relationship becomes an incredibly powerful form of control.

The section surrounding the #FreeBritney movement was therefore particularly moving to me. Britney writes about discovering that complete strangers were looking at what was happening and saying that something was wrong. Fans were paying attention. They were asking questions. They were making noise. For somebody who had spent years being told that she had no control and apparently had no right to control her own life, discovering that thousands of people believed her freedom mattered must have been extraordinary.

And I think this is where being a longtime fan made the book particularly emotional for me.

Britney talks repeatedly about her fans and how much their love and support meant to her. As someone who watched her career unfold in real time, there was a part of me that wanted to reach backwards through those years and tell her something very simple.

Most of us just wanted you to be happy.

I think that is ultimately what a real fan should want now too.

The conservatorship ended in 2021, after thirteen years, and The Woman in Me was published while Britney was married to Sam Asghari. That marriage has since ended, but honestly, I don't need to know why. Maybe it didn't work. Maybe one of them wanted something different. Maybe there are things that happened that will never be public. Good. They don't have to be.

For most of Britney's life, strangers have acted as though they were entitled to know everything about her.

Maybe we aren't.

She is now in her forties, and I think there is something liberating about reaching this age anyway. Britney and I are both 44 now, and this is very much the age when you start entering the "I don't give a fuck" phase of life. When you're twenty, everybody seems to be looking at you. When you're thirty, some of those heads begin to turn away. When you're forty, particularly as a woman, much of the world suddenly stops caring what you're doing.

And strangely enough, that can be wonderful.

Because eventually you stop caring what the world thinks too.

So yes, I've seen some of Britney's social media posts. Some of them are genuinely weird. And my reaction at this point is basically, you do you, girl. If Britney Spears wants to dance around her house, she can dance around her house. If she never wants to record another album, she shouldn't. If she wants to disappear from public life completely, she should be allowed to disappear. If she wants to spend the rest of her life on a deserted island with a pack of dogs, then I hope they are very good dogs.

She has already given the public enough.

The media took from her. The paparazzi took from her. The music industry took from her. Men in her life took from her. Her own family took from her. Even fans sometimes participated in a culture that treated Britney Spears less like a human being and more like a piece of public property.

So perhaps the best thing fans can give her now is the one thing she spent so many years without.

Freedom.

Reading The Woman in Me also reminded me of I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy, which I read last year. The circumstances are obviously different, but both memoirs made me think about how uncomfortable the entire concept of child stardom becomes once we start listening to the adults those children grew into. So many stories involve parents who were supposed to protect their children becoming financially dependent upon those children's success instead. Once the child becomes the family business, the distinction between parenting and management can become terrifyingly thin.

It honestly makes me wonder whether the entertainment industry needs to rethink the way it uses children altogether. A child cannot fully understand what worldwide fame means. They cannot understand what it means for millions of strangers to possess photographs and videos of them forever. They cannot properly consent to becoming the primary source of income for an entire group of adults. If the industry cannot find a way to protect real children from that machinery, then perhaps we need far fewer real children inside it.

The Woman in Me is not simply interesting because of the celebrity revelations, although there are plenty of those. What affected me much more was finally hearing the interior version of events I had watched from the outside. I had seen Britney Spears the pop star, Britney Spears the girlfriend, Britney Spears the wife, Britney Spears the mother, Britney Spears surrounded by paparazzi, Britney Spears shaving her head and Britney Spears disappearing from public view. The book puts the woman back inside all those images.

Some parts are heartbreaking. Some made me angry. Some made me look back at celebrity culture in the late 1990s and 2000s and realise just how casually cruel it could be, particularly towards young women. But I am very glad I finally read it, and I would absolutely recommend it, particularly to people who remember Britney's rise to fame and lived through that period alongside her.

Britney Spears will almost certainly never read this review, but that doesn't really matter. I spent my teenage years watching her life from thousands of kilometres away, seeing only tiny pieces of what was really happening. More than twenty years later, she finally got to tell us what was on the other side of those photographs.

And after everything she has been through, I don't particularly care whether she ever gives the world another album, another performance or another explanation.

I just hope the next forty or fifty years belong entirely to her, and they'll be filled with happiness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell * * * * *

A Claiming of Souls by R.A. Sandpiper (Amefyre, #3) * * * * *

The Golden Compass (2007) * * *