Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin * * * *

The second establishment of the series didn't disappoint. It was exciting and full of twists and turns.

In the previous book there weren't that many supernatural elements, that are usually part of a fantasy. Towards the end there were more, but most of the characters didn't come across anything especially strange. In this book, those elements become more and more.

What I loved about the book was partly that. The supernatural just popped up, and came about unexpectedly most of the time. There were several mysteries, and story lines that kept me turning the page.

What I didn't like was that sometimes the action started to lag. There are people who like all those little details that some writers, especially those who can't write a book under 600 pages, put into their narratives. However, to me, these were sometimes too many. I remember two instances, where I just couldn't take it anymore, and started to skip a few pages. Probably the most unnecessary part was when Jon Snow was going up the side of a hill in the middle of the night. Every rock he encountered was described in detail. I ended up shouting: "I get it, it's hard, now arrive on the top already!" Really, sometimes you just need to edit.

Overall, we get a good character growth from all the major players. We also meet a few new ones, and that keeps things even more interesting. The action is good, and even though there is a war on, we don't get an overwhelming amount of battle scenes in the book. Those can get a bit boring after a while. The story is still interesting and entertaining. I reached for the third book immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment