Sunday, April 29, 2012

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare * * * *

I really enjoyed this book. I generally don't like teen books, but this has a style that is easy and fun to read. It also has a colourful world to explore. I've also reviewed the movie, which I didn't like as much as I did the book.
I know there has been some drama with Cassandra Clare, but I don't really get it. I never read her fanfiction, because I only read Drarry, Snarry Harry Potter in the adult category.

The world doesn't have much in the new category. These are all creatures that we've seen before, but I like the way they were put into one world, and how their interactions were built. Some people said the Shadowhunters are like the Slayers in Buffy, but they didn't have such a society, especially since normally there was just one.
As a rule, I don't like romance, but I did like the couple in this. It wasn't too mooning over each other. It is a bit insta-love though. Thankfully, the romance doesn't get realised right away, so we have some UST building up.

Clary Fray I could relate to. Partly because I was raised by a single mother, and I have a similar attachment to my mum, and a need to protect her. She is obviously a Mary Sue, but I don't get why writing yourself into a story is so bad. If people assume characters are totally independent from a writer, people assume wrong.
Jace is a mix of Spike and Draco. Probably why I liked him so much, since those are two of my favourite characters ever. I guess Cassandra agrees with me on that, and that's why she imagined her dream man like him.
The rest of the characters seemed interesting as well. I wanted to get to know them better.

Overall, not as good as the hype. However, I enjoyed the story. It swept me along, and even made me forget I don't like romance. Perhaps it reads a bit like fanfiction, but I read a lot of fanfiction, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment