Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead * * *

I've known about this book series for a while. It sounded like something I wouldn't like, in spite of my love for vampires. My main issue was that it takes place in a school. I've graduated high school 14 years ago, and since then I tend to be annoyed by stories that take place in a school. Okay, other than Harry Potter.
I decided to read this book after seeing the movie. I know it wasn't very popular, but I thought it was a lot of fun. Though compared to the book they amped up the action. I've also read that in the book the friendship between the two girls is more prominent, which sounded good, since I'm not a fan of romance. While the book does have some romance, it's not too much.

The story is really about two girls looking out for each other. I've read a lot recently about the lack of female companionship in books. This is just the opposite. Quite refreshing.
The school aspect is not prominent in the sense that we don't get details on the different classes, unless something important happens. For example, I know they have Slavic Art, but mercifully we never actually have to read about Slavic Art.
Another aspect of school life that I generally don't like is the cliques and cattiness. While there is some of that, it has a role in the story, and is not there just for its own sake.
Because I saw the movie, the plot itself wasn't a surprise. That's why I decided to read the next book, to see if I'll be surprised by that one.

The two main characters are Rose and Lissa. They are both strong, but in different ways. They complement each other, like best friends often do. The story is narrated through Rose, and she's a likeable girl. Her sense of duty is admirable. She's also sensible in that she doesn't run off to save people on her own, which is often a trend in similar themed books.
There is romance for both girls, neither easy, neither insta-love. The guys aren't attractive just on their looks, but they are both supportive of the girls. However, not completely ideal, so it doesn't get boring, or too fluffy.

Overall, the book didn't overwhelm me, but I did know the story beforehand. It was fun, and I'm looking forward to reading the next book. I liked Rose and Lissa, and would like to know how things turn out for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment