Endless Night by Agatha Christie * * * *
This is a very interesting Christie novel because it does not initially feel much like a mystery at all. In fact, it reminded me quite a bit of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, which I also read for this challenge earlier this year. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd comes from much earlier in Christie's career, while Endless Night was published in 1967, but both play with perspective and with what we assume about a story simply because of the person telling it. With Endless Night, though, Christie pushes even further towards psychological character study.
The novel is narrated by Michael Rogers, a twenty two year old man from a poor background who was raised by a single mother. Michael is restless, impulsive, and dissatisfied with almost everything. He moves from job to job without really settling anywhere. He has no particular career ambitions and does not especially want to work his way towards wealth. He simply wants to be wealthy. At the same time, he wants to travel, see the world, experience things, and then move on to something else.
Actually, Michael struck me as surprisingly ADHD coded, which I found particularly funny because the book I read before this had a character who felt extremely autistic coded. Apparently I am accidentally reading my way through neurodivergence. Obviously Christie was not sitting down in 1967 and deliberately writing an ADHD character, but Michael has that recognizable combination of restlessness, impulsivity, difficulty settling into one occupation, constant desire for something new, and obsession with particular ideas. Those traits are not what makes him a terrible person. That is a completely separate issue. Michael just happens to have plenty of terrible qualities as well.
One of his obsessions is a piece of land called Gipsy's Acre, where an old house called the Towers stands. The land is supposedly cursed because Romani people were once driven away from it, and Michael becomes fascinated by the idea of owning it and building his dream house there. There is one fairly substantial obstacle. Michael has no money.
Then he meets Ellie Guteman.
Ellie is young, beautiful, and extraordinarily wealthy. They fall in love very quickly and get married, which rather conveniently solves Michael's money problem. They travel together for a while, but eventually Ellie buys Gipsy's Acre. The old house is demolished and Michael finally gets the opportunity to commission his dream home from Rudolf Santonix, a famous modern architect whose work he has admired for years.
On the surface, then, this could almost be a strange romantic character study about a poor young man marrying an heiress and suddenly acquiring everything he has ever dreamed about. He has the beautiful wife. He has money. He has Gipsy's Acre. He has the house he has imagined for years. Yet because this is Agatha Christie, you know something has to happen eventually. You just don't necessarily know what kind of story you are actually reading.
Unfortunately, I did.
Endless Night was adapted into an episode of Agatha Christie's Marple, with Miss Marple inserted into a story in which she does not originally appear, and that happens to be one of my favourite episodes. It is incredibly atmospheric, and I remembered it well enough that I already knew where the story was going and what the eventual revelation would be. That inevitably changed my experience of the book.
I can imagine Endless Night being much more effective if you go into it completely blind. For a substantial portion of the novel, there is barely even a conventional mystery to solve. You know you are reading Agatha Christie, so presumably something horrible is going to happen eventually, but otherwise this could simply be a character study told by a rather unpleasant young man who wants everything life can give him without particularly wanting to do anything to earn it.
And Michael really is unpleasant.
The entire novel is told retrospectively through his perspective, and that becomes the most interesting part of the book. Everyone exists as Michael sees them. That also raises an interesting question about one of my main criticisms, because I found most of the supporting characters rather flat. Ellie, Santonix, Michael's mother, and the other people surrounding them often feel more like types than completely rounded human beings. But perhaps they feel flat because Michael himself sees people in a flat, utilitarian way. He does not seem particularly interested in other people's interior lives unless those people are relevant to something he wants.
That makes Michael himself by far the most interesting character in the novel.
There is a point where his restlessness stops looking merely impulsive and starts looking much darker. Everything revolves around Michael. What does Michael want? What does Michael deserve? What can this person give Michael? How can that person help Michael reach whatever he has decided will finally make him happy?
People become tools.
This is also where Endless Night reminded me of The Rose and the Yew Tree, which I read for the July challenge. That novel also contains a man, John Gabriel, who is deeply dissatisfied with his life and continually reaches for something else because he believes the next thing will finally make him happy. By the time he understands what might actually have mattered, he has already destroyed it.
Michael feels almost like Christie returning to a similar type of man nearly twenty years later, except this time she puts us directly inside his head.
Both men have this sense that happiness exists somewhere just beyond where they currently are. If they could only get the money, the woman, the house, the position, the next thing, then everything would finally be right. But the problem is not really the thing they lack. The problem is them.
With Michael, Christie takes that idea somewhere much darker.
By the end of the novel, we understand just how profoundly selfish he is and how little genuine regard he has for anyone around him. I initially found myself wondering whether some of his traits could be read as narcissistic, or even psychopathic, particularly once the final revelations put his earlier behaviour into context. I would not try to clinically diagnose a fictional character, but the complete lack of remorse, the manipulation, the instrumental way he views other people, and the horrifying information we eventually learn about his past all create the portrait of someone whose problems go considerably deeper than ordinary selfishness.
The revelations about his mother made this even more interesting to me. She initially comes across as cold and standoffish, but eventually we realize that she understood her son far better than Michael wanted us to believe. She knew there was something deeply wrong with him.
And what exactly is a mother supposed to do with that knowledge?
She raised him alone while working two jobs and trying to keep them afloat. By the standards of the time, being a single working mother would already have been difficult enough. Add the realization that your child may be growing into someone capable of terrible things, and there is a real helplessness there. She cannot simply stop being his mother. She cannot magically change his personality. She knows him, she sees him, and she seems to understand something about him that other people do not.
That gave a character I initially found rather flat considerably more weight by the end.
There is also a fascinating fatalism to Michael's final reflections. Once everything has collapsed, he looks backwards and identifies what he imagines was a fork in the road. There was supposedly another path available to him. There was a moment when he could have chosen differently and perhaps lived a completely different, happier life.
But I am not convinced that alternative life ever really existed.
It is easy for Michael to imagine it once he knows that the path he actually chose has ended in disaster. The fantasy allows him to believe there was a version of himself capable of choosing happiness instead. Yet his intentions were already corrupt long before that supposed crossroads. Even if he had chosen differently at one particular moment, would he actually have been satisfied? Or would he eventually have wanted something else and destroyed that too?
That is what makes the ending so effective. Michael still wants to turn himself into the tragic protagonist of his own story.
Even after everything, it is still about him.
I did briefly wonder while reading whether this particular type of man had any connection in Christie's mind to her first husband, Archie Christie, whose affair and departure caused one of the great personal crises of her life. I have not found any evidence that Michael was actually based on Archie, so I would not claim that he was, but it is interesting that Christie repeatedly returned to selfish, restless men who hurt other people while chasing whatever they believe will finally satisfy them. Whether that came from personal experience or simply from her fascination with human behaviour, she clearly found this kind of character worth exploring.
It also made me think of Yesteryear by Caro Claire Burke, which I read recently. That is another book narrated by a protagonist many readers absolutely hate. I did not hate Natalie in Yesteryear because I thought there was something redeemable about her. A great deal of what was wrong with her could be traced back to her upbringing and the world that had shaped her, and I could imagine circumstances in which she might genuinely become a different person.
Michael is different.
Michael is a rotten egg.
That seems to be Christie's conclusion too. This is not really a story about a basically decent person being corrupted by one terrible decision. It is a story about someone who repeatedly chooses himself at the expense of everyone around him and then, when everything collapses, looks backwards and wonders whether he might have chosen another road.
That psychological exploration is what I liked most about Endless Night. Christie is obviously famous for her mysteries, but she can also be extremely good at taking deeply unpleasant human beings apart and examining what makes them work. This book is less interesting as a puzzle than as a gradual revelation of the person who has been telling us the story all along.
Four stars from me, and definitely one I would recommend, particularly to readers interested in Christie's darker and more psychological novels.
I now have three books left in Read Christie 2026. I have done this challenge two years in a row, and at the moment I am saying that I probably will not do it again next year because I would like a break.
Of course, I said exactly the same thing last year.
So we will see.
As for Endless Night, the mystery is ultimately not just what happened at Gipsy's Acre. The real mystery is Michael Rogers, and the most disturbing answer the book offers is that perhaps there was never a good man inside him waiting to choose the better road.

Comments
Post a Comment