Hot Girl Murder Club by Ashley Winstead * * * *
Hot Girl Murder Club by Ashley Winstead was my Pick of the Month for July 2026, so I went into it with fairly high expectations. I listened to the audiobook, which may have influenced my experience, because this is a thriller that asks the reader to keep track of multiple timelines, several POV characters, and shifting points of view. While I ultimately enjoyed what the book was trying to do, I found the execution much messier than I had hoped.
The story follows a group of women whose lives are connected by a traumatic event in both the past and the present. The novel moves back and forth between these timelines while using third person limited narration, with each chapter focusing on a different character. On paper, this is an interesting structure, but in practice I often found it difficult to remember who was who. Isabel was easy to keep straight, but many of the other characters blurred together, partly because they did not feel distinct enough from one another. Listening rather than reading probably made this even more noticeable, as I frequently had to check my phone to remind myself whose perspective I was currently following and where exactly we were in the story.
What kept me invested was the book's central message. At its heart, this is a story about women standing up for one another, believing one another, and refusing to let powerful men abuse their positions without consequences. That theme felt especially relevant, and it created an interesting contrast with my recent trad wife reading project. Those books largely explored movements that encourage women to return to restrictive traditional gender roles, whereas Hot Girl Murder Club is very much about women supporting women and resisting those power structures. I also appreciated that the novel did not fall into the trap of portraying every man as irredeemably evil. There are genuinely supportive male allies throughout the story, which made the conflict feel more balanced and believable.
I was less convinced by the overall structure. The novel runs for over eleven hours in audiobook form, and I never quite felt that the dual timeline justified its complexity. Showing the past rather than simply having the characters reflect on it certainly has value, but I think the same emotional impact could have been achieved with a tighter story that stayed largely in the present. Instead, the constant jumps between timelines sometimes disrupted the momentum and made an already complicated plot even harder to follow.
The framing device was probably the most unusual aspect of the novel. Between chapters, we get excerpts from what appears to be a future academic dissertation examining the events of the story. I liked the idea behind this because it suggests that what happened here became historically significant, that these events were only the beginning of a larger movement rather than its conclusion. It adds an interesting layer to the novel's themes, but combined with everything else, it also contributed to the feeling that the book was trying to juggle just one narrative device too many.
The ending was where I struggled the most. It became increasingly difficult to follow exactly what was happening, and even after finishing the book, I wasn't entirely certain how some of the final events were meant to fit together. It felt almost open ended, which may well have been intentional, but for me it made the conclusion less satisfying than it could have been.
Overall, I enjoyed the ideas behind Hot Girl Murder Club more than I enjoyed the execution. Ashley Winstead tackles timely themes, raises important questions about power, solidarity, and accountability, and creates a story that certainly gave me plenty to think about. I just wish the narrative had been a little more streamlined and the characters a little more distinct. I would still recommend it to readers who enjoy ambitious feminist thrillers, but I suspect it works better in print than it did for me as an audiobook. Sometimes a great message deserves a clearer path to reach its audience.

Comments
Post a Comment